This is a past Event
Human Embryonic Stem Cell Research: Scientific Inquiry and Ethical Controversy
Simone Bateman, Centre de Recherche Sens, Ethique, Société
Stibbs Conference Room (Room 203)
About the Speaker
Simone Bateman-Novaes is a Senior Researcher in sociology at the Centre de Recherche Sens, Ethique, Société (CERSES), a center affiliated with the Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) and the Université Paris Descartes in Paris, France.
She has published articles in French and English, an edited volume entitled, Biomédecine et Devenir de la Personne (Paris: Editions, du Seuil 1991), and a study of sperm banking, Les Passeurs de Gamètes (Presses Universitaires de Nancy, 1994).
Dr. Bateman was a member of a European Commission working group, which produced a report on Fertility and the Family (London: Fourth Estate Ltd., 1989). Additionally, she was a member of the French National Ethics Committee from 1992-1996, and was director of CERSES from 2000-2007.
Dr. Bateman’s selected publications in English include:
- “Giving, Receiving, Repaying: Gamete Donors and Donor Policies in Reproductive Medicine,” International Journal for Technology Assessment in Health Care, vol. 5, no. 4 (1989), pp. 639-657.
- “Beyond Consensus about Principles: Decision-Making by a Genetics Advisory Board in Reproductive Medicine”, in K. Bayertz, ed., The Concept of Moral Consensus: The Case of Technological Interventions into Human Reproduction. Dordrecht : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1994, pp. 207-221. (Philosophy and Medicine Series, vol. 46).
- “The Medical Management of Donor Insemination” in K. Daniels and E. Haimes eds., Insemination : International Social Science Perspectives. Cambridge University Press, 1998, pp. 105-130.
- “Making Decisions about Someone Else’s Offspring : Geneticists and Reproductive Technology”, in M. Fortun and E. Mendelsohn (eds.), The Practices of Human Genetics. Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1998, pp. 169-184.
- S. Bateman Novaes and Tania Salem, “Embedding the Embryo”, in J. Harris and S. Holm eds., Future of Human Reproduction: Ethics, Choice and Regulation. Oxford University Press, 1998, pp. 101-126.
- S. Bateman Novaes and M. Biègelmann-Massari, “Panorama of Fertility Control in the World”, in Human Population Problems. J. Rose, ed., Gordon and Breach Science Publishers, Environmental Topics series, 1999, pp. 47-76.
- “When Reproductive Freedom Encounters Medical Responsibility: Changing Conceptions of Reproductive Choice” in Current Practices and Controversies in Assisted Reproduction : Report of a WHO Meeting. Effy Vayena, Patrick J. Rowe, and P. David Griffin, eds., Geneva: World Health Organization, 2002, pp. 320-332.
Dr. Bateman has provided us with a pre-lecture summary. It may be accessed by following the link above.
Filed under: Ethics and Public Affairs Lectures