This is a past Event
Fall 2016 Yates Lecture: Giovanni Peri
Professor and Department Chair, Economics, University of California Davis
The Economic Opportunities from Immigration
203- Stibbs Conference Room, Lavin-Bernick Center, Uptown Campus
Reception to Follow
About the Speaker
Giovanni Peri is Professor and Chair of the Department of Economics at the University of California, Davis and Research Associate of the National Bureau of Economic Research in Cambridge, Massachusetts. He is Editor of “Regional Science and Urban Economics” and in the editorial board of several Academic Journals in Economics. He is the Director of the UC Davis Temporary Migration Cluster, an interdisciplinary group doing research on international migrations. His research has focused on the impact of international migrations on labor markets and productivity of the receiving countries and on the determinants of international migrations. He has published in several academic journals including the American Economic Review, the Review of Economic Studies, The Review of Economics and Statistics, the Economic Journal, the Journal of European Economic Association, the Journal of International Economics, and the Journal of Labor Economics.
His research has been featured in popular blogs and in media outlets including the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, the Washington Post, and the Economist Magazine. He has received several grants for the study of international migrations from foundations and international organizations, including the National Science Foundation, the John D. and Catherine T. MacArthur Foundation, the World Bank, and the Volkswagen Foundation.
- Lewis, E., and G. Peri. “Immigration and the Economy of Cities and Regions.” Handbook of Regional and Urban Economics, Volume 5. Eds. Gilles Duranton, Vernon Henderson, and William Strange. Amsterdam: North-Holland, 2015.
- Ortega, F., and G. Peri. (2014). “Openness and income: The Roles of Trade and Migration.” Journal of International Economics, Elsevier 922: 231251.
- D’Amuri, F., and G. Peri. “Immigration, Jobs, And Employment Protection: Evidence From Europe Before and During the Great Recession.” Journal of the European Economic Association 12.2 (2014): 432–464.
- Ottaviano, G. I. P., G. Peri, and G. C. Wright. “Immigration, Offshoring, and American Jobs.” American Economic Review (American Economic Association) 103.5 (August 2013): 1925–59.
- Ottaviano, G. I. P., and G. Peri. “Rethinking the Effect of Immigration on Wages.” Journal of the European Economic Association (European Economic Association) 10.1 (2012): 152–197.
- Steven M. Sheffrin Award for contributions to graduate education, UC Davis Economics Department, 2012
- International Prize in Economic Journalism “Gozzo d’Agrento,” Santa Margherita Ligure, Italy (with F. D’Amuri), 2011
- Nominated IZA Research Fellow, 2011
- Appointed Ifo Research Professor at the Ifo Institute, Munich Germany, 2011
- Nominated International Fellow, Kiel Institute, Germany, 2011